JTPhillips Illustration and Crafts at Etsy

pinterest

Friday, October 23, 2015

Read-along: The Witch of Salem, what inspired the Crucible (Librivox)

Hello folks. It is near Halloween, or All Hallows Eve, here in the US.
I don't really celebrate it. I think ghost stories and scary stories and supernatural and all that stuff, are for year round consumption!

A year or two ago, to get over my aggressive playing of MMORPGs, I began knitting or drawing and listening to audiobooks and youtube vids.
Librivox is a great place for free audiobooks, most in the public domain. A lot of them are books written prior to the 1900s, and many are from the 1800s. I love antique and period writings.

Anyway, I am currently reading a fiction called The Witch of Salem, by John R Musick. It's a lil' rough at times, as writers from before 1900 tended to blather on with flowery language. You get used to it after a while. However, the characters are interesting and it gives an interesting perspective into how people may have felt about that Witch Trial business while it was happening.
Best of all, it takes place in my home state, Massachusetts! I love stories that take place in New England and New York, particularly.

Anyway, here is the link to where you can 'read' it: https://librivox.org/the-witch-of-salem-by-john-r-musick/
Here is where I'm 'reading' it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCMdFElWEAc
I am 4 hrs and 45 minutes into the reading, out of a total of about 9 hours.

Word of warning, his opinion in his writing of Native Americans and African Americans is quite racist (and ironic, considering he is speaking of persecution!) If you can get past that, its a decent immersive tale about rising hysteria and bigotry in this small New England town.

Don't you miss the days when people read to you? Audiobooks are awesome like that.

-JTP/MNR

No comments:

Post a Comment