JTPhillips Illustration and Crafts at Etsy

pinterest

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Japanese hook sizes - "steel"

I read a lot of japanese crochet patterns. Many of them are thread weight.

There is this beautiful bolero I would like to make into my size, it would be perfect for classic lolita or mori kei or even himegyaru.

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/p21-lace-bolero
Its absolutely gorgeous but even in the book itself its very complicated, so I'm thinking about making this pattern instead. http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/p23-bolero . Its slightly simpler.

I can read a little japanese: hirigana, katakana, and some kanji. MEEEH why would you use kanji in a pattern?? Then only those who are absolutely up to reading level in japanese can read it. The people who make these patterns are usually good about making diagrams. I plan on learning japanese more, but for now, diagrams will do. I guess.

Oftentimes these patterns are one size fits all. At least they are good about making them in a size that is highly adaptable, somewhere in between bust size 32 and bust size 38, a medium for a lot of people.

Japanese patterns use an "#/0" symbol for the size of their hooks and needles. US and UK use "size #" for their hook sizes in patterns. I keep forgetting the japanese to metric to US conversion for the needles. I think I'm going to make a chart in english. Or at least borrow one from the Rakuten site: http://www.rakuten.co.jp/gosyo/438728/672881/





Japanese steel hooks No.      2/0   3/0       4/0      5/0      6/0       7/0       8/0      10/0      
Size in mm                         2mm 2.3mm 2.5mm 3.0mm 3.5mm 4.0mm 5.0mm 6.0mm      
Japanese bamboo hooks No. 2         3           4          5          6           7          8          10       
Size in mm                         2.7m/m 3.0m/m 3.3m/m 3.6m/m 3.9m/m 4.2m/m 4.5m/m 5.1mm


I think hooks that don't have labels are just listed in mm size in the pattern.

If I got some info wrong, do comment and I will try to fix it.


-MNR

No comments:

Post a Comment