JTPhillips Illustration and Crafts at Etsy

pinterest

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Lifestyle Lolita, post 1

I decided several months ago, which is last year, that I would be a lifestyle lolita. That is a very expensive habit. However, I don't really understand how if someone puts on the 'frills', they're NOT  a lifestyle lolita. Perhaps it is a passing phase for some people? Like dressing 'gothic', 'emo', or not caring about how they dress?

I've been reading a lot of this blog as of late. Lolita Charm . Whatever I do, I keep getting redirected to this sometime in the week. There are other blogs that I'm subscribed to on blogger. But it just happens.
I've been reading a great deal about Lolitas and reading lolita blogs. It appears I have an obsession. Or just that I am a lifestyle lolita.

I suppose to be a lifestyler you don't have to dress that way every day. It's more of the ideals that you hold about every day life.

The lolita things I do every day:
  • Knitting/Crocheting
  • Sewing
  • Drawing, sketching
  • Lace making
  • Reading Classical books
  • partaking in philosophy
  • Enjoying tea
  • Enjoying dolls
  • Enjoying Victorian and similar fashions, and finding coordinates!

There are more things I do, but I don't do them every day. And I can't remember them right now.

However, it wouldn't hurt for me to get some more skirts and blouses for everyday wear. I also need bloomers. I hate stairs but I must go up them once in a while. So I'm not an out of shape fat person all the time. (BTW I can say this because I'm fat. =P) And.... people could very well see things. Also it's damn windy in this town. Can't stand this town... my skirts, why!

I mainly dress classic/aristocrat lolita, ero lolita, and casual lolita. I'd be so afraid of sitting places and getting  dirty as a shiro lolita. (I could bring a handkerchief to sit on but still.) That's why now I prefer off white and creams. Also they really complement me. Complete kuro lolita is too dark for my skin complexion and hair. I don't want my dress to blend right into my skin...

Clothes I would love to get for these styles:
  • Black and white skirts - Gonna see if I can find some people to commission, and find some cute fabric for me to sew.
  • Black stockings or white stockings
  • ALWAYS NEED SHOES. NOW AND FOREVER. So expensive tho.
  • Cute earrings (can go to claires, icing, or fashion bug I guess) 
  • All purpose tote bags!
  • Bows and hair pieces
  • Cardigans

Most of these I can make. However, it takes time.

Just figuring out what to do with my hair is a big problem however. I don't have the straight hair that asian or most white lolitas have, and straightening my hair every week is not an option.
I have started to compile a list of alternative hair styles for those with curly, frizzy, floofy or natural hair. I will post pictures when I can.

I'm quite excited because I got a reserve subscription from jbox.com. I'm going to get at least 3 issues of gothic and lolita bible for 20 dollars, instead of getting each one for 20 dollars! Yaay. Because I need to keep up with the fashion, I do. I know my major brands, but I definitely could do better.

I hope this lolita thing is not a phase. I plan to be dressing at least aristocrat or steampunk into my old age!

I would enjoy the fashion a lot more if I had someone to talk to and meet with. Especially if I went to a meet up. I'm a shy person, but sometimes, it's not fun performing your hobbies alone. You want someone to share it with.

-Murasaki no Ryuu

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for commenting on my LGBTQ lolita post! It's so nice to find someone that feels the same way. ;_;

    And yes, being a lifestyle lolita (no matter what sub-genre you fit into) is difficult. I think this is because it's really hard to incorporate actual "acceptable" lifestyle activities into our digital everyday lives. It's easy to drink tea, read classical (or classical/history-related) books, and play with dolls if you can make the time in your otherwise non-lolita life. But some of the other activities...well, unless you're either a student, working at home, unemployed, or someone in the fashion industry, you can't really incorporate the rest very well into your everyday life. Or if you can, I'm really impressed because society as a whole in terms of technology and therefore lifestyle has moved on. It's hard to hold onto things from the past.

    I think I might make a post about this. :3

    - usagi

    ReplyDelete